War Memorial – Imperial War Museum War Memorial Register; 1925 and after 1945
This memorial was discovered by Liz Dobson on the Imperial War Museum War Memorial Register which gives the maker as the ‘Pinwill School of Carving’. It consists of an ornate wooden board, with the inscription flanked by the figures of St George and St Michael standing above slain dragons. Added to the 33 names of those who died in the First World War are seven more of men lost in the Second World War. The original memorial was dedicated in May 1925 by the Bishop of Oxford and cost £125. The figures of St George and St Michael are almost identical to those made for the memorial to Sir Reginald Pole-Carew at Maryfield church, Cornwall, in 1926.