St Philip & St James
Maryfield church was built 1864-71 to designs by the Gothic Revival architect William White as a place of worship for the Pole-Carew (now Carew Pole) family of nearby Antony House (Beacham & Pevsner, 2014).
Screen – Photograph (PWDRO 116/62 & 244/2) R.F. Wheatly architect; 1926
This richly carved screen, part of a memorial to Sir Reginald Pole-Carew, given by his wife Lady Beatrice, was described in detail in a newspaper report prior to its installation (Western Morning News, 1926a). The panels of the base bear the family crest, a carving of his sword, and details of Sir Reginald’s life and work. It entirely fills the north chancel arch and includes the figures of St Michael and St George within the tracery and those of Christ and two adoring angels above the cornice, all the subjects used being entirely Lady Beatrice’s own ideas. The report states that the architect was R.F. Wheatly and that the whole of the carving was carried out by V. Pinwill of Plymouth.
Benches (4)and Panelling – Photograph (PWDRO 116/62 & 244/2); 1926
Within the north transept and facing the screen are four benches given by the sons and daughters of Sir Reginald. Three of the bench ends depict the name saints of the donors: St John, St Mary and St Patrick, while the fourth bears the figure of Victory (Western Morning News, 1926a). The panelling, donated by the brother and sister and other relatives of Sir Reginald, runs along the back and north side of the benches to complete the memorial.
The memorial to Sir Reginald was the subject of an exhibition held at the workshop in St Lawrence Yard, advertised in the Western Morning News (1926b) as being open to the public, admission free, from 9am to 6pm. This is only the second known occasion on which such an exhibition took place.
Beacham, P. & Pevsner, N. (2014) The Buildings of England. Cornwall. Yale University Press, London.
Western Morning News (1926a) Late Sir Reginald Pole-Carew. Merifield Church Memorial. 24 April p. 11.
Western Morning News (1926b) Exhibition of Woodcarving. 23 April p. 1.