Roll of Honour – Photograph (PWDRO 116/119) Cowell, Drewitt and Wheatly architects; 1923
This piece of work, an ornately carved wooden plinth inscribed with the words ‘Roll of Honour’ set on scrolled supports, was part of a memorial to those of the Queen Victoria’s Rifles who died in WWI. A newspaper article (Yorkshire Post, 1923) reports that Field Marshal Lord Grenfell unveiled at the Drill Hall, Berkeley Square, a memorial to 75 officers and 1,385 other ranks of this volunteer battalion. Their names were inscribed on marble tablets affixed to the east wall. The building in which the Drill Hall was situated was almost totally destroyed by bombing in 1940 (british-history.ac.uk).
PWDRO 116/119 Photograph. Queen Victoria Rifles. Roll of Honour.
Yorkshire Post (1923) Queen Victoria’s Rifles’ Memorial. 22 January p. 13.