Armorial Bearings – Photographs (PWDRO 116/100, 244/4 & 244/5); 1913
HMS New Zealand was a gift to the Empire by the Dominion of New Zealand. The Pinwill company was engaged to carve the armorial bearings of New Zealand to be fixed to the ship’s superstructure. This was a large and important commission, not least because it was in place in Portsmouth when the ship was inspected on 5 February 1913 by King George V, accompanied by Winston Churchill as First Lord of the Admiralty (The Times, 1913). There is a marvellous photograph in PWDRO 116/100 of the assembled Officers and visitors in front of the armorial bearings. HMS New Zealand was built in Govan, launched in 1911 and sold in 1922 (HMS New Zealand).
Tampeons (2) – Photograph (PWDRO 244/4 & 244/5); probably 1913
Only one tampeon is shown in the photograph at PWDRO but as part of the reporting on the inspection of HMS New Zealand by the King, a newspaper published a view of the two ‘big guns… which, it will be noticed, bear the Royal Crown and the letters ‘NZ’’ (Manchester Courier, 1913 p. 11). These are the tampeons carved by V. Pinwill.
Manchester Courier (1913) News of the Day in Pictures. The King to Inspect H.M.S. “New Zealand”. 5 February p. 11.
PWDRO 116/100 Photographs. HMS New Zealand. Armorial bearings.
PWDRO 244/4 Photograph Album. Various. Woodcarvings.
PWDRO 244/5 Photograph Album. Various. Woodcarvings.
The Times (1913) The King and H.M.S. New Zealand. Inspection of the Ship. 6 February p. 5.