St George, Stonehouse
St George’s church at Stonehouse was badly damaged by bombing in 1941 (Twyford, 2005) and demolished in 1957 (plymouthdata). Some of the stone was used to build the Lady Chapel at St Gabriel’s church in Peverell.
Reredos – Photograph (PWDRO 244/4); date unknown
An inscription states that the reredos was a gift in memory of Richard Rodd, solicitor and his son Richard Robinson Rodd, coroner for Devon, and both of East Stonehouse, but no dates are provided.
Altar – Photograph (PWDRO 116/14); 1933
A newspaper article (Western Morning News, 1933) reported that a faculty had been obtained for the altar, the gift of the vicar the Rev. A. T. Allwork in memory of his wife. The inscription names her as Doreen Allwork, who died in January 1933.
PWDRO 116/14 Photograph. Plymouth St George. Altar.
PWDRO 244/4 Photograph Album. Various. Woodcarvings.
Twyford, H. P. (2005) It Came To Our Door. Plymouth in World War II – A Journalist’s Eye Witness Account. Revised and illustrated by C. Robinson. Pen & Ink Publishing, Plymouth.
Western Morning News (1933) Late Mrs. Allwork. Memorial High Altar for Stonehouse Church. 2 October p. 3.