St Edward, Eggbuckland
This ancient church has a range of modern fittings by several different woodcarvers, including Harry Hems of Exeter and James B. Hunt of Plymouth, as well as Violet Pinwill.
Pulpit – Newspaper article (Western Morning News, 1906); 1906
This elaborate pulpit, featuring panels depicting symbols of the four evangelists and uprights carved with foliage and birds, was a gift in memory of Benjamin Butland, churchwarden for 38 years. It was dedicated on 27 November 1906.
Memorial Chapel Altar Rail – Photograph (PWDRO 116/5); 1940
The guide (Whatty, undated) states that this altar rail was dedicated on 21 July 1940 and was the gift of Stanley Williams in memory of his wife Gwendoline. The rail is made of chestnut and has a typical Pinwill kneeling angel at each end. On a visit in October 2013 it was found that the angels’ wings were broken.
Bench Ends – Guide (Whatty, undated); 1930s
The guide attributes these bench ends to the Pinwill sisters but in PWDRO 784/49 are two photographs depicting five of them and they are clearly marked ‘Harry Hems and Sons, sculptors, Exeter’. In addition, newspaper reports in June and December 1930 (Western Morning News, 1930a & 1930b) state that the new bench ends were made by Harry Hems and Sons of Exeter.
PWDRO 116/5 Photograph. Plymouth St Edward. Altar Rail.
Western Morning News (1906) Egg Buckland Parish Church. Dedication Service. November p. 8.
Western Morning News (1930a) Dedication of New Pews. Memorials at Eggbuckland Church. 2 June p. 7.
Western Morning News (1930b) Church Improvement. Morchard Bishop Tablet and Eggbuckland Seats. 8 December p. 7.
Whatty, P. (undated) Guide of the Church to St Edward King & Martyr Eggbuckland.