All Saints, Harwell Street
All Saints parish was formed from that of St Peter’s in 1875, during the incumbency of the Anglo-Catholic George Rundle Prynne. The church was designed by Plymouth-based architect, James Hine, and built in several stages. Damaged in the Plymouth blitz (Twyford, 2005), it was then restored. By 1979, however, a dwindling congregation and poor repair led to a recommendation for redundancy (Luscombe, 2015). Before this could be properly examined, the church was severely damaged by a storm, leading to its immediate closure, and eventually to demolition in 1985. A clergy house, built in 1887 and designed by John Dando Sedding, is now apartments but still remains ‘remarkably original and impressive’ (Cherry & Pevsner, 2004 p. 674). His nephew, Edmund H. Sedding was later responsible for the design of parish rooms and a school in 1892 that have also been converted, though the Arts & Crafts character of the building did not survive.
Cross and Candlesticks (2) – Photograph (PWDRO 116/3); 1939
The faculty application for these items was to replace temporary ornaments on a moveable Holy Table, used for occasional celebration, with new cross and candlesticks in gilded oak (DHC DEX/9/a/3/1939/15). It included a half-size sketch of the cross and candlesticks signed V. Pinwill, which implies that she designed them. The application was granted in 1939.
Cherry, B. & Pevsner, N. (2004) The Buildings of England. Devon. Yale University Press, London.
DHC DEX/9/a/3/1939/15 Faculty. Plymouth All Saints. Replacement Ornaments for Removeable Altar.
Luscombe, E. (2015) The Parish of St Peter and the Holy Apostles Plymouth. A New History.
PWDRO 116/3 Photograph. Plymouth All Saints. Crucifix and Candleholders.
Twyford, H. P. (2005) It Came To Our Door. Plymouth in World War II – A Journalist’s Eye Witness Account. Revised and illustrated by C. Robinson. Pen & Ink Publishing, Plymouth.