St John the Evangelist

Ivybridge Altar
Lady Chapel Altar at Ivybridge (PWDRO 244/2 with permission of Pinwill family)

The parish church at Ivybridge dates from 1882 and its most striking feature is the elegant oak chancel screen created in traditional style by Herbert Read of Exeter in 1911.

Chancel Panelling – Guide (Ivybridge, 1982); 1913

The guide states that the panelling in the chancel was designed by Messrs Sedding and Wheatly and carried out by Rashleigh, Pinwill & Co. in 1913.

Lady Chapel Altar – Photograph (PWDRO 116/34 & 244/2); 1929

The altar in the Lady Chapel is a memorial to Violet Barton who died in October 1929 and the church applied for a faculty in November that year (PWDRO 1291/35).

Candlesticks (Pair) – Photograph (PWDRO 116/34); date unknown

These candlesticks were not seen on a visit in September 2013 and may no longer be in use.

Sources

Ivybridge (1982) The Parish Church of St. John the Evangelist, Ivybridge 1882-1982.

PWDRO 116/34 Photographs. Ivybridge. Altar and Candleholders.

PWDRO 244/2 Photograph Album. Various. Woodcarvings.

PWDRO 1291/35