St Andrew

Altar Rails – Newspaper article (The Cornishman, 1917), Photograph (PWDRO 244/4); 1917

These altar rails were the gift of Mrs Bolitho in memory of her late husband’s mother and grandmother. A newspaper article cites the Parish magazine, saying that the rails are ‘the work of Miss Rashleigh Pinwell [sic], of Plymouth, whose name ensures excellence of workmanship, and who is well-known throughout the West of England’ (Ibid. p. 5). After a visit to the church to see the altar rails, a match was made with an unannotated photograph in PWDRO 244/4.

Panelling – Photograph (PWDRO 116/28 & 244/1); 1923

The original panelling shown in the photograph bore an inscription stating that it was in memory of John and Mary Toll of Hole Farm and that it was erected in 1923. During a visit to the church it became apparent that the panelling no longer existed, possibly as a result of a beetle infestation in 1980. However, two determined local historians, Jean Sharman and Helen Tavener tracked down the inscription, which had been saved and remains over a bookcase at the back of church.


PWDRO 116/28 Photograph. Bere Ferrers. Panelling.

PWDRO 244/1 Photograph Album. Various. Woodcarvings.

PWDRO 244/4 Photograph Album. Various. Woodcarvings.

The Cornishman (1917) The Late Mr. T. B. Bolitho. Memorial Erected at Bere Ferrers. 5 April p. 5.