St Paul

The church of St Paul was built as a chapel of ease to St Clements in 1868 by John Dando Sedding (Beacham & Pevsner, 2014). Edmund H. Sedding was responsible for the completion of the tower in 1909-10. By 1952 serious structural cracking in the tower was noted. More recently it was discovered that the east gable is moving and the polyphant stone is crumbling; severe dry rot has been found in the organ chamber. The church was closed in 2007 and, initially, it was planned to demolish the building (Cornish Buildings Group), but it has since been offered for sale. Access is not possible to ascertain whether the screens below still exist.

Parclose Screen – Photograph (PWDRO 244/4 & 244/5); date unknown

Screen – Photograph (PWDRO 244/4 & 244/5); after 1912

This is probably another parclose screen, dedicated to the memory of Mary Anne Wilson (died 1912). It appears that two parclose screens were dedicated, one in 1913 and another in 1914 (Warner, 2022) that may well represent the screens in question.


Beacham, P. & Pevsner, N. (2014) The Buildings of England. Cornwall. Yale University Press, London.

PWDRO 244/4 Photograph Album. Various. Woodcarvings.

PWDRO 244/5 Photograph Album. Various. Woodcarvings.

Warner, M. (2022) A Time to Build: Signposts to the Building, Restoration, Enhancement, and Maintenance of Cornwall’s Anglican Churches and Mission Rooms. Scyfa, Cornwall.