This church was an early design by G.E. Street in 1848-50 to accommodate the expanding population of the china clay area, and forms part of a group of buildings with the vicarage, schoolroom and schoolhouse (Beacham & Pevsner, 2014).
Reredos and Panelling – Photograph (PWDRO 116/87 & 244/2) R.F. Wheatly architect; 1929
The panelling either side of the reredos was placed there in memory of Emma Jane Carey (d. 1919), wife of John Edward Carey, by their children. The reredos itself was the gift of the parishioners in memory of John Edward Carey, vicar of Treverbyn 1904-1921. A faculty petition for the reredos and panelling is dated January 1929 (CRO D/R 7/53).
Sanctuary Chair – Photograph (PWDRO 116/87) R.F. Wheatly architect; after 1926
An inscription on the back of the chair reads ‘The gift of the Parishioners in memory of Samuel Minear who died March 13 1926’.
Font Cover – Photograph (PWDRO 244/3) R.F. Wheatly architect; date unknown
This octagonal font cover is in a familiar Pinwill design, with Aaron’s Rod motif around the edge, but the four curved handles converge in a small finial, rather than a dove.
Beacham, P. & Pevsner, N. (2014) The Buildings of England. Cornwall. Yale University Press, London.
CRO D/R 7/53 Faculty Petition. Treverbyn. Reredos.
PWDRO 116/87 Photograph. Treverbyn. Reredos and Panelling and Sanctuary Chair.
PWDRO 244/2 Photograph Album. Various. Woodcarvings.
PWDRO 244/3 Photograph Album. Various. Woodcarvings.