Reredos and Panelling – Newspaper article (Western Morning News, 1921); 1921
There is no evidence of this item in the albums at PWDRO. However, a short newspaper piece on 2 August 1921 states that a faculty had been obtained for a reredos, to be made by Miss Pinwill of Plymouth, in memory of the Revd and Mrs Hart Smith. Furthermore, a postcard dated 21 September 1921 was sent from Pinwill joiner A.E. Elliott to his wife from St Minver where he was working, which would suggest he was there to install this work. The panelling, with its linenfolds and cresting, is integral to the reredos and bears two inscriptions: ‘They loved this Parish and by their faithful efforts the three Churches were in turn carefully restored’ and ‘Erected A.D – 1921’. The reredos itself is more elaborate and consists of raised borders of vines and birds around a deeply carved Crucifixion scene, below tall cresting. The guide (Baxter, undated) confirms the date and adds that the reredos was given by the son of the Revd and Mrs Hart Smith.
Baxter, J. (undated) The Three Churches of St Minver.
Western Morning News (1921) West of England News. 2 August p. 3.