The church at Menheniot contains two fine pieces of woodcarving by Harry Hems of Exeter: the pulpit with panels depicting stirring maritime scenes, and the lectern incorporating a large figure of a former Rector.
Font Cover – Photograph (PWDRO 244/4 & 244/5); 1915
This large and elaborate font cover requires the use of ropes and pulleys to operate. It is a beautiful piece, octagonal in shape, with cherub faces and ‘dolphins’ around the base and is surmounted by a typical Pinwill dove. It was included in a faculty dated 1915 (Warner, 2022).
Parclose Screen – Photograph (PWDRO 116/63) R.F. Wheatly architect; after 1931
The screen sits on the south side of the chancel, on the back of the choir stalls, and is ornamented by a running design of vines and birds along the cornice. It is a memorial to Henry William Thomas who died in 1931.
PWDRO 116/63 Photograph. Menheniot. Memorial Screen.
PWDRO 244/4 Photograph Album. Various. Woodcarvings.
PWDRO 244/5 Photograph Album. Various. Woodcarvings.
Warner, M. (2022) A Time to Build: Signposts to the Building, Restoration, Enhancement, and Maintenance of Cornwall’s Anglican Churches and Mission Rooms. Scyfa, Cornwall.