St Marwenne

Restoration of the fabric of the church at Marhamchurch by Edmund H. Sedding, together with the installation of several new stained glass windows, was completed in 1907 (West Briton, 1907). The lectern and choir stalls below may also be from this period but no evidence for this has yet been found.

Marhamchurch Lectern
Lectern waiting in the porch at Marhamchurch (PWDRO 244/5 with permission from Pinwill family)

Lectern – Photograph (PWDRO 244/5); date unknown

An unlabelled photograph in PWDRO (shown here) has been identified as the one at Marhamchurch after a visit there in 2011.

Choir Stalls – Photograph (PWDRO 244/4 & 244/5); date unknown

There are several photographs of the Marhamchurch choir stalls in PWDRO. Some show only the bench ends with their finely carved diamond-shaped poppy heads, while others are of the completed stalls. One of the latter is taken within the workshop and provides a rare glimpse of the interior – with corrugated roof, internal drainpipe and an early Health and Safety notice.

Altar Rails – Photograph (PWDRO 244/2) R.F. Wheatly architect; 1930

These altar rails are a memorial to Georgina Annie Griffiths, who died in August 1929. Faculty plans were submitted in December 1929 (CRO D/R 97/1-3) and a faculty petition in January 1930 (CRO D/R 8/25).


CRO D/R 8/25 Faculty Petition. Marhamchurch. Altar Rails.

CRO D/R 97/1-3 Faculty Plans. Marhamchurch. Altar Rails.

PWDRO 244/2 Photograph Album. Various. Woodcarvings.

PWDRO 244/4 Photograph Album. Various. Woodcarvings.

PWDRO 244/5 Photograph Album. Various. Woodcarvings.

West Briton (1907) Church Restoration at Marhamchurch. 7 November p. 7.