Linkinhorne church contains some good modern carving, aside from that by V. Pinwill. In particular, the tower screen includes a delightful border crowded with gulls, fish, seaweed, rope, crabs and crab pots, the work of Herbert Read of Exeter in 1967-68 (Hugh Harrison, unpublished).
Pulpit – no documentary evidence
This pulpit is so similar in design to those at Crantock, Gorran, Lanteglos by Fowey, St Breward, St Buryan and St Erme that it has to be from the Pinwill workshop, although there is no documentary evidence, as yet, to substantiate this. A faculty for a new pulpit was raised in 1910 (Warner, 2022).
Lady Chapel Furnishings – Chaytor (1990); possibly 1954
Chaytor states that ‘this was a reconstruction of the Lady Chapel which Miss Pinwill was invited to undertake and which involved her in a new role’ (Ibid. p. 68). This was to choose the materials for curtains around the altar and for kneelers, etc. The implication is that V. Pinwill also carried out carving work for the reconstruction, such as the altar, cross, candlesticks and riddel posts, all of which are in a modern style. A clergy stall and an altar rail in the Lady Chapel may also be her work, although there are no photographs of any of these items at PWDRO to verify this. A faculty for work in the Lady Chapel was raised in 1954 (Warner, 2022).
Chaytor, E. (1990) Ermington Days. Melinga Publishing, North Cheam.
Hugh Harrison (unpublished) List of plans submitted for tenders by Herbert Read Ltd (plans deposited at DHC 6854B).
Warner, M. (2022) A Time to Build: Signposts to the Building, Restoration, Enhancement, and Maintenance of Cornwall’s Anglican Churches and Mission Rooms. Scyfa, Cornwall.