WWI Memorial Panels – Photograph (PWDRO 116/58 & 244/6); after 1918
The photograph in PWDRO shows only the two panels depicting St George killing the dragon and St Martin of Tours cutting off part of his cloak for the beggar and there is no indication of their purpose. Although the photograph is in black and white, it is obvious the panels are coloured and gilded, but one is still completely unprepared for their gloriousness in reality. They form part of a WWI memorial with the names of the dead between the low relief carvings of the Saints. It is not clear whether the whole of the memorial or merely the panels were the work of V. Pinwill. The memorial was later adapted to commemorate the dead of Lewannick in WWII.
Pulpit – Faculty (CRO D/R 11/22) R.F. Wheatly architect; 1933
On a visit to Lewannick church in June 2012 to see the panels described above, the pulpit seemed similar to others shown in photographs at PWDRO but nothing identical was found. However, at CRO a faculty for Lewannick was discovered, granted in February 1933, for the removal of the old pulpit and its replacement with a carved wood pulpit. The faculty plan is annotated ‘V. Pinwill Carver 9 Queen Anne Ter Plymouth’ and ‘Architect R.F. Wheatly Truro’ and is indeed the one now in the church. It is very similar in design to several other pulpits made for Cornish churches at Crantock, Gorran, Lanteglos by Fowey, Linkinhorne, St Breward, St Buryan and St Erme.
CRO D/R 11/22 Faculty Petition. Lewannick. Pulpit.
PWDRO 116/58 Photograph. Lewannick. Panels of St George and St Martin of Tours.
PWDRO 244/6 Photographs. Various. Woodcarvings.