An appeal for funds to ‘rescue the fine old Parish Church… from the ruin with which it is threatened’ (Cornishman, 1903a p. 8) was made by the Vicar of Lanteglos by Fowey in May 1903 and a faculty for restoration and reseating was granted in June of the same year (CRO P116/2/6). The sensitive restoration by Edmund H. Sedding was completed in February 1906 (Western Morning News, 1906), and, according to the guide (Lanteglos by Fowey, undated), all the Pinwill woodcarving dates from this period.
Pulpit – Photograph (PWDRO 116/110 & 244/5) E.H. Sedding architect; 1903-06
The design of this pulpit is similar to others at Crantock, Gorran, Lewannick, Linkinhorne, St Breward, St Buryan and St Erme. It is mentioned in a newspaper report about the re-opening of the church as being the work of the Misses Rashleigh Pinwill (Western Morning News, 1906).
Choir Stalls – Photograph (PWDRO 116/56, 244/4 & 244/5) E.H. Sedding architect; 1903-06
The poppy heads at Lanteglos are of the naturalistic style used to great effect at Crantock and at Weare, Somerset, a few years before. Some of the designs at Lanteglos are very similar to ones elsewhere and have obviously been adapted, but they are nevertheless exquisitely produced.
Font Cover – Photograph (PWDRO 244/5) E.H. Sedding architect; 1903-06
This confection of a font cover is beautifully carved and surmounted by the medieval symbol of piety, the pelican feeding her chicks, and incorporates the ‘dolphin’ motif, found commonly in Cornwall on post-Reformation bench ends, including some in this church.
Alabaster Panel Restoration – Photograph (PWDRO 244/5) E.H. Sedding architect; 1903-06
The annotation next to the photograph of this panel in PWDRO states that it was ‘dug up’ in the church during the work there and restored. It depicts the martyrdom of St Lawrence lying bound on a gridiron while a man beneath stokes the flames with bellows.
Bench Ends Restoration – Newspaper article (Western Morning News, 1906) E.H. Sedding architect; 1903-06
A report prior to the re-opening of the church in 1906 states that the medieval benches ‘have been most carefully repaired by the Misses Rashleigh Pinwill’ (Western Morning News, 1906 p. 5)
Tower Screens (3) – Guide (Lanteglos by Fowey, undated) E.H. Sedding architect; 1903-06
Altar Rails – Guide (Lanteglos by Fowey, undated) E.H. Sedding; 1903-06
The only source for the three tower screens and the altar rails is the church guide, which states that they date from the Sedding restoration and were the work of the Misses Rashleigh Pinwill of Plymouth.
Cornishman (1903) To Save a Cornish Church. 14 May p. 8.
CRO P116/2/6 Faculty. Lanteglos by Fowey. Restoration and Reseating.
Lanteglos by Fowey (undated) Parish Church of St Wyllow, Lanteglos by Fowey. Unpublished guide within church.
PWDRO 116/110 Photographs. Various. Pulpits.
PWDRO 244/4 Photograph Album. Various. Woodcarvings.
PWDRO 244/5 Photograph Album. Various. Woodcarvings.
Western Morning News (1906) Lanteglos-by-Fowey Church. A Conservative Restoration. 16 February p. 5.