St Ildierna

Lansallos Angel detail
Detail of Altar Rail Angel at Lansallos (Photo: Roy Reed)

The structure of St Ildierna was restored by Edmund H. Sedding in 1908 (Lansallos, undated), though none of the furniture by V. Pinwill appears to date from that time. In February 2005 an arson attack occurred, in which the organ was destroyed and the roofs, ceilings and windows of the Lady Chapel, chancel and the eastern part of the nave were badly damaged. Fortunately, the majority of the furniture, including the medieval bench ends and the Pinwill work, was saved.

Sanctuary Table – Photograph (PWDRO 116/55); date unknown

Altar Rails – Photograph (PWDRO 244/4 & 244/5); 1912

A newspaper article of October 1912 states:

Beautiful altar rails in carved oak have been placed in Lansallos Church by members of the congregation. The design of the work, which was carried out by Rashleigh Pinwill, Plymouth, consists of massive arches supported by carved pillars with a moulded rail super-mounting them. The supports between the arches are carved with vine leaves. Two kneeling angels are carved in the round on either side of the entrance, and face each other in the act of praying. The wings and drapery have been very finely treated, and the carvings give an admirable finish to the entrance (West Briton, 1912).

The photographs at PWDRO do not state which architect was involved in the design of these altar rails. A bill from R.F. Wheatly for making and fixing altar rails at Lansallos is held at CRO (P114/2/2), but the angels were certainly carved from earlier designs by Sedding, who, by this time was in partnership with Wheatly. The rails bear an inscription stating that they are in memory of A.H. Langridge, Rector 1907-09. This brief memorial hides the tragic story that the Revd Langridge died in Lucknow after a painful illness, having gone out to India with his wife from Cornwall for a change of air (Straits Times, 1909).

Bosses – Newspaper article (West Briton, 1912a); 1912

The article in the West Briton quoted above goes on to state that the roof and other parts of the church had been renovated recently and a number of bosses copied from exisiting old ones had been put up. It is highly likely that these bosses were carved by Pinwill company.

Lansallos Pulpit
Pulpit at Lansallos

Lectern – Photograph (PWDRO 244/2) R.F. Wheatly architect; after 1926

This lectern, featuring the symbols of the four evangelists at the base, is quite similar to the one at Postbridge, also designed by Wheatly, but created a little later. It is a memorial to Frances Anne Taylor, who died in September 1926.

Pulpit – Photograph (PWDRO 116/55, 244/2 & 244/6) R.F. Wheatly architect; after 1935

This beautifully carved pulpit, showing scenes from the life of Jesus, was given in memory of Francis Buller Howell (died 1918) and Charles Alexander Howell (died 1926), both of Ethy, and in commemoration of years of service to the church by the Revd H.D. Streatfeild (sic) between 1923 and 1935.


CRO P114/2/2

Lansallos (undated) Lansallos Parish Church.

PWDRO 116/55 Photograph. Lansallos. Pulpit and Credence Table.

PWDRO 244/2 Photograph Album. Various. Woodcarvings.

PWDRO 244/4 Photograph Album. Various. Woodcarvings.

PWDRO 244/5 Photograph Album. Various. Woodcarvings.

PWDRO 244/6 Photographs. Various. Woodcarvings.

Straits Times (1909) Social and Personal. 14 December p. 6.

West Briton (1912) Gift to Lansallos Church. 28 October p. 2.