The church at Chacewater was rebuilt, except for the tower, and completely refurbished under the direction of architect Edmund H. Sedding (Western Morning News, 1921) and re-opened in December 1892.
Chancel Seats – Chaytor (1990); 1892
Chancel seats for Chacewater church are listed on a handbill illustrated in Chaytor as being work undertaken by Rashleigh, Pinwill & Co. It was announced in August 1892 that the work of making the seats had been entrusted to the company (The British Architect, 1892). Then in December that year a newspaper article about the re-opening of Chacewater church states ‘The chancel seats are of oak, and were executed by Rashleigh, Pinwill, and Co., of Plymouth. They have given great satisfaction, and are of somewhat unusual design’ (Royal Cornwall Gazette, 1892, p. 4). The seating is less ornate than most other work produced at this time, though there is some interesting detail here and there, particularly on the ends of the arm rests on the priests’ stalls.
Chaytor, E. (1990) Ermington Days. Melinga Publishing, North Cheam.
Royal Cornwall Gazette (1892) St Paul’s Church Chacewater. The Re-building. 22 December p. 4.
The British Architect (1892) Summary of News. 26 August p. 160.
Western Morning News (1921) Mr. Edmund Sedding. Plymouth Architect’s Death in London. Work for Churches. 23 February p. 8.