St Anta and All Saints
The church at Carbis Bay was dedicated in 1929 and built to the designs of architect R.F. Wheatly (Carbis Bay, undated). Since Wheatly was architect to the Pinwill woodcarving business after 1921, it is perhaps surprisingly that only a few items were made for this church.
Pulpit Restoration – Photograph (PWDRO 244/2) R.F. Wheatly architect; after 1929
Presumably this pulpit was a gift from another church but needed restoration.
Lectern – Photograph (PWDRO 244/3) R.F. Wheatly architect; after 1929
Figure of the Christ Child – no documentation; 1935
A visit to Carbis Bay in March 2013 to see the work listed above proved to be an exciting event, when another figure of the Christ child was found. It is identical in design to the others, except that it is about half the size and the robe is coloured a bright blue with gold borders, rather than white with blue/gold or red/gold borders. A brass plaque on the table below is dated 1935 and states that the figure was given in memory of Louise Emily Lidgey (died 1932) and Kathleen Mary Lidgey (died 1929).
Carbis Bay (undated) History of St Anta & All Saints, Carbis Bay. Unpublished guide within church.
PWDRO 244/2 Photograph Album. Various. Woodcarvings.
PWDRO 244/3 Photograph Album. Various. Woodcarvings.