Pulpit – Photograph (PWDRO 244/1) C. Nicholson architect; 1926-30
Sir Charles Nicholson trained as an architect under John Dando Sedding and no doubt formed a working relationship with Edmund H. Sedding and thereby became aware of Violet’s skills. Extensive additions to St Laurence church were carried out by Sir Charles between 1926 and 1930 and the pulpit is undoubtedly from that period. Attribution for the pulpit is provided in Cherry, O’Brien and Pevsner (2005). It is still in use, although moved from the central area during re-ordering of the church in 2002 (Chris Mowat, warden, pers. comm.). Nicholson is thought to have also designed the present choir stalls, and it is possible that V. Pinwill produced them, although this is only circumstantial evidence.
Cherry, B., O’Brien, C. & Pevsner, N. (2005) The Buildings of England. London 5: East. Yale University Press, London.
PWDRO 244/1 Photograph Album. Various. Woodcarvings.